Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pure escapism


Millions of people play this game. It's pure escapism. It's truly an adventure. It's a world of magic and quests and other worldly characters. D. got a new computer. (Thanks to a tax refund.) So now he can play W.O.W. His character is a night elf druid. Call me a voyeur because I love watching him play. lol There's just something about watching his character doing quests and completing them and battling "evil" creatures and so on. It's really nice to escape the problems of the day....to escape the bad news that CNN always disperses. It's fun to find and enjoy something new. I remember when I was in college, we'd play Dungeon and Dragons. I loved that. (Am I showing my age?) lol And I remember watching D. play Everquest. That was fun...but there's something about seeing W.O.W. on a brand new computer. Computers have come a long way since we bought our first one (1994). I'm amazed at just how good things look...how much better the technology is. Isn't it strange how computers are a natural part of our lives now? When I was "young" (I sound like my parents) they didn't have computers for the average Joe. Even when I was in college (1983) they didn't have personal computers. I took computer in college and in comparison to what we have today....those were like dinosaurs. lol (I really am showing my age.) lol It blows my mind how kids today won't even understand not having computers or iPods, etc. When I was a teenager....there was no such thing as computers for anyone....there was no such thing as iPods....we played records on the record player. We didn't have cell phones. We didn't have cordless phones. There was no such thing as cable or sattelite tv. And now....all of these things are just a natural part of every day life. It's amazing to me. And it makes me feel nostalgic and old. lol We used to go outside to play or play board games....stuff like that. And here I am....watching D. play a role playing game on the computer. One where millions of people around the world play. Go figure. Maybe I can say that I'm not as old as all that. I guess it's true what they say....age is only a number. So I can enjoy myself. I can watch D. play an other worldly character and we can escape the troubles of the world for a little while. There's nothing wrong with that. Not at all.

No comments: