Thursday, September 25, 2008

On getting your boobs smashed


Definition of breast cancer: Cancer that forms in tissues of the breast, usually the ducts (tubes that carry milk to the nipple) and lobules (glands that make milk). It occurs in both men and women, although male breast cancer is rare.


Estimated new cases and deaths from breast cancer in the U.S. in 2008:


New cases: 182,460 (female); 1,990 (male)
Deaths: 40,480 (female); 450 (male)



I had my annual mammogram today. My appointment was for 9:45am and I just got home. It's 2:10pm. It was a diagnostic mammogram which means it's much more indepth. Two years ago, I did my annual mammogram...just the basic one. They called and told me my breasts were too fibrous and I needed to go do an ultrasound. Nothing like being told you need an ultrasound to increase the anxiety level. Breast cancer doesn't run in my family, so I tried not to make a big deal out of it. I did the ultrasound and sat in that dimly lit room waiting for the doctor to come talk with me. The whole time I'm thinking...don't let me have cancer...don't let me have cancer. I was scared out of my mind. When the doctor finally came in, I could sense that something was found. She told me I had two papilloma's in my right breast. I was stunned. What the heck is a papilloma? A papilloma is a benign tumor. Okay, so I had a "tumor" or two in my right breast. I didn't know that they were benign. She told me so, but I didn't hear it. I was sitting there thinking....oh my God....I have tumors in my breast. The doctor reassured me and told me I needed to contact my ob/gyn for a breast surgeon referral. Okay. Thank God, everything turned out well. The breast surgeon was wonderful. He was kind and reassuring. I had surgery to remove the papilloma's and they really were benign. But now, I'm at an increased risk for breast cancer. Me. With no family history of breast cancer. So I did my annual diagnostic mammogram this morning and it took forever. It always does. They called me back and "smashed" my boobs. Yeah. It's not comfy at all but it's worth it. Then I waited an eternity and was told I needed to have an ultrasound. Here we go again. As you can imagine, my anxiety level went over the top. The ultrasound tech leaves with the films to go get the doctor to read them. I'm waiting. I'm praying. She comes back saying I needed to do another mammogram. They need another picture of the lymph node in my right breast. Now I'm really scared. The tech does another ultrasound on my right breast and finds the lymph node. She gets a piece of tape - yeah...like scotch tape - and puts it on the spot and draws a little dot there. Back to the waiting room. More time to think. Not fun. Go get my boobs smashed a 2nd time. Ouch. Back to the waiting room. Waiting. Waiting. Wondering. What if....what if. Finally, a nurse calls me and I go into the hall with her. I'm terrified...thinking we're headed for another room so the doctor can come talk with me, but she says everything looks good and they'll see me next year. Color me relieved. But I'm also upset. Isn't that strange. I guess it's the emotion bottled up. The fear and what if's. My throat feels tight and my eyes are burning with unshed tears. I was caught in what felt like suspended time....waiting for bad news. It happened once before. It could happen again. Thankfully, it didn't. Thankfully.


PLEASE get an annual mammogram. DON'T hesitate. DON'T think..."Oh it won't happen to me." Cuz it just might. It's important. It matters. It's better to be safe. Hear me??? Just do it. Take care of yourself. Stay healthy. Hear me???

No comments: