Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Friends


"A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are."

"If you're alone, I'll be your shadow. If you want to cry, I'll be your shoulder. If you want a hug, I'll be your pillow. If you need to be happy, I'll be your smile. But anytime you need a friend, I'll just be me."

So I'm thinking about friendship. One of my friends has been hurt by a so-called friend and I've been thinking about it. A lot. I have a small circle of friends. Those friends are people I respect and trust. They make me smile. They comfort me. They understand. They don't judge. They're happy for me. They cry with me. They cheer me on. That's what friends do. A friend is someone who's there no matter what. I know we're all human beings and we're not perfect. We make mistakes. That's life. So we slip up. But...even with the imperfections...we're still there for one another. I feel feel excited when my friends pursue their dreams. I leap for joy when they take the chance and reach and try. When my friends feel sad or lost...my heart hurts for them. I want to buy a ticket on the fast train so I can go to them. So I can be there. Having true friends is such a gift...such a blessing. I thank God for my friends. Every day. Every single day. I can't relate to the people who claim to be a friend yet they take advantage of you. Those who say they don't care that they hurt you. Those who say, "I'm sorry, BUT....." My goodness. If I hurt a friend, I'd be very, very upset. I don't want to ever intentionally hurt a dear friend. I can't imagine apologizing but then discarding it all with the word "but." I love my friends no matter what. I've had so called friendships in the past...the kind where you think you're in friendship heaven. You believe you've found a keeper only to discover how they've taken advantage of you...they've abused you and your trust. They've hurt you and they didn't care. And you stand there thinking....how did I let this happen? I handed my trust over and look what they did. And you hurt. So much. And you try to understand. And it's hard. But you absorb the hurt and move on. You close the door on that relationship and hope and pray you won't be so foolish and gullible the next time. I'm very fortunate to have a close circle of friends. These are ladies I can bare my soul to and they still love me. I can be "safe" with them. They see my faults and all and they don't care. God knows what He's doing. When He closes a door somewhere, He opens a window somewhere else. Thank you S., I., S., and S. for being such wonderful friends! I really am blessed. So very much.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Just scrolled down your blog- don't know how I missed this- I presume this was me- the friend that got hurt by her "friend". If not, it still hit home- I Love you- you're always on my side.