Tuesday, November 18, 2008
just rambling......
I think fall is really and truly here. It was downright cold today....46*. Woohoo! I love the cold weather. I'm ready for it. I'm ready for some snow! lol Love snow! Most of the leaves have fallen. There's still lots of color but you can see lots of bare branches now. I love how the golden light of fall shines on the trees. It's amazing. But I think the temps will be cool from here on out. Everyone keeps saying we're in for a cold winter and I hope they're right. I really, really, really want some snow. We had one good snow in early March and we had so much fun playing in it. I hope we'll have more this winter. Ideally, I'd love a white Christmas. That, to me, is the ultimate gift. There's something so nostalgic about it. I remember waking up to snow on Christmas when I was young and we lived in New York. I'm always reminded of that when I watch the movie, A Christmas Story, and Ralphie wakes up on Christmas morning and looks out the window. There's a fresh blanket of snow on the ground and he says, "Whoa....." My sentiments exactly. I've been there. I remember it so clearly. I'd love to experience that again. I don't want any presents. Nothing material. I simply want quality family time and a beautiful, snowy day. Not sure the snow will happen, but I can wish for the quality family time. I get so tired of the commercialism during this season. Halloween wasn't even over before the stores had the Christmas stuff up. I wanted to scream! For me....doing Christmas stuff doesn't happen until the actual month of December begins. Call me a Scrooge, but that's the way I am. I'm not one of those folks who will be doing my Christmas decorating on Thanksgiving day. Nope. I think Thanksgiving deserves some celebrating....some attention. Poor, ol' Turkey Day gets pushed into the background and it makes me sad. We used to have Halloween...then Thanksgiving and then Christmas. Each holiday got its own time in the limelight. Not anymore. Nope. We go straight from Halloween into Christmas and it seems like Halloween will get inched out pretty soon by Christmas just like Thanksgiving. Hmph. Bah humbug! lol I want my Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! I want my turkey and dressing! I want my afternoon nap! lol I want to spend time with my family celebrating with them and being thankful for the good, beautiful things in my life. Let's take that time. Then....then...I can look towards Christmas. We'll put up the tree. We'll figure out where to hang the ornaments....has to be just the right place. We'll hang our stockings. We'll do our decorating. We'll bake cookies for Santa. We'll get out our craft supplies and make things to hang around the house and on the tree. We'll watch all of the classic Christmas shows...like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and my absolute favorite, A Christmas Story. That is one of my all time favorite movies!!!!!! You'll shoot your eye out!!!! lmao I haven't really been in the mood for the holidays. I've almost been dreading the whole thing. But now... writing about it...I'm thinking I can embrace the holiday spirit. :-) S. is already beyond excited about Christmas and I think he's winning me over with his enthusiasm. Gosh I love that view of the world through a child's eyes. It rocks! Being grown up (ancient - lol)....I forget the joy and wonder of Christmas. In the movie, The Polar Express, the little boy gets the sleigh bell from Santa but he can't hear it until he actually believes. Turns out...as the kids grew up...they could no longer hear the ring of the bell. I suppose that's happened to me. I forgot to believe so I can't hear that beautiful ringing sound. I think I'll just open myself up....grab hold of my son's hand and start believing so I can hear the bell. Sounds like a pretty wonderful, magical idea to me. Think I'll just do that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment